4 each Whole fresh vanilla beans
4-1/4" Ginger slices
5-7 each Star anise, crush
4 each Cinnamon sticks
2 cups Sugar, to taste
4 quarts Water
1 cup Orange juice, fresh, to taste
As needed Mint leaf sprigs, garnish
Rambutan/lychee –seeded & cut in quarters
Star fruit, upon availability
Pineapple, medium dice
Papaya, medium dice
Mint leaves, chiffonade
1. Combine the vanilla bean, ginger, star anise, cinnamon sticks, sugar, water and orange juice in a stainless steel pot.
2. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for approx ½ hour to extract flavors. Adjust flavoring as needed. Remove pot from the heat and let items steep & cool in liquid.
3. Strain mixture through fine mesh strainer, reserving the vanilla bean.
4. Slit the vanilla bean and scrape all the bean pods from the shell and put back into the strained mixture.
5. Chill soup down completely. Add sliced & diced fruits into soup "ala minute" for service.